The LOT Downtown (110 S Main St, Mansfield), has six music-related events scheduled this month to get the 2019 spring/summer season rolling – including local original acts, cover bands and two popular music-themed movies.
1. The movie, “Selena,” at 8:30 p.m. on May 3 – This is the true story of Selena Quintanilla-Perez, a Texas-born Tejano singer who rose from cult status to performing at the Astrodome, as well as having chart topping albums on the Latin music charts.
2. Atlantis Aquarius at 7 p.m. on May 4 – This Texas band blends atmospheric psychedelia with golden era rock and roll. The band’s single “Nibirian Sun” is in frequent rotation on indie radio and featured on international Spotify playlists.
3. Maylee Thomas Band at 7 p.m. on May 11 – From her early days as a gospel singer to her legendary status as a Texas diva, Maylee transcends genre, mixing gospel-based blues with a soul driven rock, touches of pop, with the very faintest caresses of country from time to time.
4. ESCAPE – Journey Tribute at 7 p.m. on May 18 – Since 2006, ESCAPE has been performing all over the DFW area and beyond to packed venues where the crowds love to sing along and dance to the timeless music of Journey.
5. The movie, “That Thing You Do!,” at 8:45 p.m. on M
ay 24 – Written and directed by Tom Hanks (who also has a supporting role), “That Thing You Do!” recaptures the innocence and optimism of 1964 in a fun, cautionary tale about the fleeting nature of fame.
6. The Rich Girls – Hall & Oates Tribute at 7 p.m. on May 25 – “You can’t be a Hall & Oates cover band without bringing the party, and the Rich Girls do just that … They have serious music chops, too,” notes The Dallas Observer, which called it one of the 10 best cover bands in DFW.
All of these shows are free. For more: thelotdowntown.com.